Thursday 12 January 2017

Marvel V DC Part 2...

In this three part series I am comparing Marvel against DC. I am seeing who I think had the better movies released last year, then I will give my opinions on the movies getting released this upcoming year, as there's many that look like they could be incredible.

In part one I did head to head reviews, putting 'Captain America: Civil War' against 'Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice'. You can read that HERE. In this post I will be doing a head to head of two more films (I mentioned in part one that this will not be 'Deadpool' as I have already reviewed it - Read the review HERE).


These are two quite different films, with X-Men opting to be more serious with few parts bringing out comedy and 'Suicide Squad' opting for the comedic value throughout, but which one is better?

Suicide Squad

I found the idea of the film a good one, bringing together a group of bad guys together as one, to take down more bad guys. Despite this I do think that the film fell a little short of my expectations. The first half had substance, it was funny and intriguing, but it slowly tailed off until finally finishing, and I did lose concentration a couple times within the second half of the film.


The acting was good, and there was a great cast of actors assigned to 'Suicide Squad'. From two time Oscar nominees Will Smith and Viola Davis to Oscar winner Jared Leto ('Dallas Buyers Club'). The star of the show was definitely Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, I think that she captured this difficult character perfectly, and is no doubt become the most popular one from the film, with many people eagerly anticipating a Harley Quinn film. Harley's other half The Joker was also portrayed well within the movie, by Leto. This is a hard character to act, as so many have played it so well. Despite Leto not quite doing as well as Heath Ledger in 'The Dark Knight', I do believe he did a good job and I am interested to see more of the new Joker the future films to come.

As I mentioned before I think the problem with this film is ot loses its momentum half way through, it slows down a bit and never manages to get back up to the standard that it started with. The final battle is not as big as I was expecting it to be, and the final few scenes do not keep up the comedic value that the movie gives to you within the first half.

'Suicide Squad' made a total gross within theatres of $325,100, 054. Bringing it in at number nine of the top total grosses of all movies released in 2016. Coming in just behind 'Zootopia' and 'Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice'.

Overall I give this film a 7 out of 10. This film got marked up for its strong, interesting and funny start, but lost points for the weaker second half.

X-Men: Apocalypse

I think that this was a strong superhero movie, it did have comedy but it also knew when to be serious, while as providing high action scenes. X-Men did a good job of capturing the watchers attention and being able to sustain that throughout.


I am not a huge fan of the acting across the board of X-Men movies, but I do think that this one did a lot better than the rest. The cast is a good one, with some very big names, such as Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence ('Silver Linings Playbook'), two time Oscar nominee Michael Fassbender, and Golden Globe nominee James McAvoy. I was most impressed with the two actors more known for TV than film though, Evan Peters of 'American Horror Story' brought great comedy to the film as he has previously within the franchise and Sophie Turner of 'Game Of Thrones' portrayed a difficult character perfectly, she was able to show us the inner emotions of Jean Grey better than I have seen done before.

The only problem with this film is I think you may have to watch the other X-Men films in this series to understand some parts, it is not a completely stand alone film as 'Suicide Squad' is. Despite this it is a film that fans of the series will love, and if you did decide to watch it without the ones before then I think you will still enjoy the majority of the movie without getting confused in the story.

'X-Men: Apocalypse' made a total gross within theatres of $155,442,489. Bringing it in at number sixteen of the top total grosses of all movies released in 2016. Coming in just behind 'Star Trek Beyond' and 'Jason Bourne'.

I give this film a 8 out of 10, for its strong story and good portray of characters, as well as it's balanced level of comedy, action and suspense.

In the third part of this series I will announce who did better in 2016 Marvel or DC, as well as who is set to have the best 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment