Monday 1 May 2017

'Logan' Review

I have to admit I wasn't as excited for this release as I am for other Marvel universe films out this year, but I'm extremely glad I took the time to go see it, as 'Logan' definitely exceeded my expectations. Here is my short review of the movie.


Professor X is ill and Logan (Wolverine) has to take care of him, while trying to hide them both from the world, but finds this increasingly difficult when a young girl arrives at their hideout near the Mexican border.

This is not your usual Marvel film, it is much deeper and intense than any other I have seen, the story is thrilling yet upsetting, and the acting matches up to that of Oscar nominated motion pictures. I am not just speaking about Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart, Stephen Merchant was an excellent addition. He plays the character Caliban, and is helping Logan take care of the Professor, providing some wit and comedic value to the film, which helps to break up the seriousness of the storyline. I also personally like the fact that he kept his strong Bristolian accent, as it made him seem relatable and down to earth (although I am biased being from Bristol myself).

This is Dafne Keen's first feature length film but you would never think that whilst viewing. She plays the part of Laura fantastically. This is not an easy character to portray, especially for someone at such a young age. Laura is someone who acts tough on the outside but you can tell she has deeper emotions on the brink of bursting out. She has had an extremely hard time and just wants to escape her problems, this is where Logan becomes a part of her life, reluctantly agreeing to help her out. I completely expect to see more of Dafne Keen in future films, as her performance captures the essence of the character Laura perfectly. She steals a lot of the scenes throughout the movie, which is extremely impressive for a young girl acting alongside some great performers.


Hugh Jackman has perfected the character of Wolverine through the years, and 'Logan' introduces us us to the gritty, honest truth of what he has become. The film still has all the violence that Wolverine usually brings, but it develops his human side. He is tired after all these years and struggling to carry on after all he has been through. Logan is for once vulnerable and broken, and certain scenes will make you want to cry. He is trying desperately to find his purpose, but has lost all hope, straight from the beginning you can see he has just given up. You have never seen Wolverine portrayed like this, it is gripping and emotional, you don't want to look away from the screen for a second.


If you are wanting to see just another superhero movie then you might be disappointed, as you forget about this genre very early on, this is a serious and gripping film that has you experiencing a range of emotions whilst sat on the edge of your seat. I highly recommend 'Logan' to any Marvel fanatic or dramatic film lover, I believe you can watch this film without seeing any previous X-Men universe movies and still get the full experience.
I truly enjoyed this film, and was not expecting the such high standard. I rate it a solid 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment